Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 3, 2013

I took Levi to the library today. He was *SO* excited to look for books and find a video about snowplows or boats.

My mom wrote to me this afternoon to ask how our trip to the library went.  I just cut and pasted my response to her because it pretty much sums it up:

Well.....going to the library with a 2yr old is tricky.  He wants to be everywhere (granted we were in the children's section...).  And in his Curious George Goes to the Library book he reads about Curious George finding a book cart and pushing it down a ramp.  So he hunted down a shelving cart and wanted to push it around because, well, Curious George does it.  He pulls books off the shelves ("Ooooooh!!! Dis one!"), pushes shelving carts, yells "Open dat!" about the enclosed display of toy cars, sits on the chairs and reads books out loud (emphasis on the loud)...and I'm trying to look up books and find them while corralling him because he's running up and down every aisle...it was pretty exhausting.

And here is where I will insert my long-festering Curious George rant:  Okay. Curious George is a naughty and impulsive little monkey who wreaks grand amounts of havoc in a variety of venues and never has to take any responsibility for his actions. In fact, he is rewarded for his actions.  The so-called man with the yellow hat is a flake who never has any idea what the heck is going on and shows up at the last minute acting like he's been looking for George all day.  What. The heck.  Your monkey has been destroying Macy's Christmas display, letting baby rabbits out of their cage, rearranging letters and numbers on the train schedule, blowing frosting all over the kitchen and letting the neighborhood dogs lick it up, and dumping a truckload of dirt into the park's pond, dude.  Wake up.

Okay, I will never dog poor Curious George again.  I just had to get all that off my (spit-up stained) chest.

BTW - we did find some great books (including a Curious George one) AND a Mighty Machines video on boats and rescue helicopters.

Onanothernote...

Luke gets the picture showcase today.  He was feeling left out.

 

One of my favorite times of the day is the one-on-one time I get with Luke while Levi naps.  I feed him and then we just sit in the rocking chair and chat with each other. He is way chattier than Levi was at this age and it's totally a riot.  Sometimes it's soft, breathy cooing, and others it's loud, raucous shrieking (but he's smiling the whole time...just shrieking).

 

Luke is also becoming a tank. He's quickly stretching out of his 6mo jammies.  He's at that prairie dog stage where he likes to stand straight up on your lap.  Actually, he just stands straight up in general, sometimes with little assistance.  I'm a little taken aback by that.

 

Because of his good head control and general sturdiness, I decided to put him on my back in the Ergo tonight for the first time.  I loved it.  He tolerated it (the look you see on his face is pretty typical when he's working out his ennui and about to fall asleep).  But I loved that I could have him on me during that time of day when nothing really goes well (between dinner and the bedtime routine), and my hands were a little more free than when I wear him in front. He did settle in and go to sleep while I cleaned up the kitchen, and his little body heating my back was a bit of a bonus. :)






3 comments:

  1. Love your rant about curious George sounds exactly what I said just the other day about him. Second your hair is very pretty in last picture. Third our library trips sound the same we should go together that would really make the librarians wonder what just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The library is always a challenge for us too. I should get paid for the amount of reshelving that I do. I second the opinion on Curious George. Cedar loves him. The cartoon tv show is better about George having to reap what he sows. It's one of the only shows Cedar gets to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking I should do the whole order the books we actually want to check out and pick them up at the circulation desk on the way out rather than trying to find all the FIRE TRUCK books while our Levi does exactly the same thing as your Levi does :) Haven't tried it yet, but I think it's an option for a less stressful library visit!

    I totally agree about Curious George!

    ReplyDelete