Monday, July 8, 2013

July 8, 2013

My camera battery is dead so I have no pictures to post, but I'm starting to get antsy because I'm sliding big-time on posting.  I want to keep up with Lukie's milestones and haven't been.  So this will probably be a terribly boring post, but I want to write stuff down for my own sake before I forget.

Luke woke up from a nap or in the morning at some point this week and had pretty much changed from a baby to a little boy.  Nana says that he never was interested in being a baby; he's always wanted to be a big boy.  That pretty much sums him up.  He stands in his crib and jumps up and down when we get him up from naps. He attacked the stairs and scrambled all the way up just a few days ago.  He crawls like it's his J-O-B and he's on a very serious mission; his little palms slap on the floor in this loud rhythm.  He's obsessed with water - he always wants to stand by the bath tub and peer in, and if the water is running he streeettttcccches his little arm out to try to touch it.  Now that he can crawl and another set of teeth are breaking through, Luke is in a MUCH better mood throughout the day.  He kind of takes off and plays by himself a lot of the time - we'll say, "Wait - where's Luke?" and he might be standing up looking out the front window, or in Levi's room tinkering with Levi's toys, or standing up at Levi's work bench gnawing on blocks. He LOVES to play with whatever Levi's playing, and Levi is NOT pleased with that.  We're working on it.  We're trying to teach Levi that if Luke comes after whatever he's playing with, he can offer him an equally cool toy to play with so they can play together.  It works sometimes.  Usually I'll hear Levi say, "Here Lukie, lou are welcome to play with this bowl" (tosses Luke his empty snack bowl), or "Lou are welcome to play with my sandal."  I'm like, "Buddy, you can't just give him something stupid. Give him a toy that is just as fun as what you have."  Really working hard on impressing on Levi that we love each other more than we love our stuff.  Not an easy sell on a 2yr old.

Levi loves to read.  If one of us sat down with War and Peace, Levi would sit the entire day and listen to us read it. He's always been that way. Luke has nearly no use for such nonsense.  He WILL give a loud shriek of happiness when I open up "Brown Bear," but other than that he's got better things to do.  He flips, turns, somersaults, climbs, slides...whatever he can do to move as much as possible when it's book time.  Today I read to Levi with one hand, and had the back of Luke's shirt gathered in my other fist, literally tethering him from leaping off the couch with reckless abandonment.

I wish badly that I had my camera this afternoon - it was one of those classic impromptu moments that make you wonder if you DID have your camera, would you have even been able to do justice to the moment by grabbing a picture of it???  I had the boys in the back yard after naps.  The kiddie pool was out, and still had water in it from yesterday.  I wasn't planning on anyone 'swimming' in it, just wanted to water the gardens and move on.  Luke took off on his mission-crawl across the yard.  Crawled face-first into the pool without missing a beat.  I stripped him down and let him sit in there, but he didn't have any toys so I didn't think it would last very long.  Oh, but he started splashing like crazy (I nearly need a surfboard to get out of the bathroom after his baths, so you can imagine his glee in this little pool).  Enter a big brother who can't be outdone.  Levi steps in the pool (feet first, no face-planting from that boy) and start to splash/stomp with his feet. Long story short: I end up with two boys, naked as jaybirds, violently splashing in this teeny kiddie pool, BOTH laughing so hard they can hardly breathe.  And they have the EXACT same laugh when they reach that about-to-die-laughing point, so you can hardly tell them apart.  It was incredible.

So there you have it.  Only mental pictures.  I'll try to be a little better about posting this month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment